Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Writing...again...

I think all the editing, the proofreading...and the plotting of book 2 has fried my brains a bit. And if I let myself think about it...really think...about what I'm doing and what the next step it...I get this sick sick sick feeling in my gut. And that sick sick sick feeling in my gut makes me think I'm pregnant, so then I run to the dollar tree, buy a pregnancy test, only to discover yet again I'm not pregnant I'm just freaked out about this 'big agent' who has requested my work actually reading it.

I think it's from all the rejections from my first book. Agents have become 'the enemy', the 'killer of dreams' the bizarre yellow sticker on my query letter that reads 'sorry not for us'. As I prepare my manuscript to send off to this 'big agent' my confidence level is 0. I'm just wondering in what form the rejection will come. Sticker? Postcard? E-mail? Months of no communication?

So I edit, I polish, I second guess every scene, character, plot development and setting that I use, and the whole time I have this nagging doubt that this will be yet another rejection. Only this time it's from 'big agent', the agent I really want, the one I've researched a lot, the one I covet...

Because of this, my mind has cracked a little. I'm still researching Thailand, specifically Chiang Mai, where book 2 -Path of the Guardians, will take place. But my mind has fled the building. My brain has turned off to the adventures of Meg Dare, and are instead focused on a character named Scarlett...

The new book, of which there are currently five pages is what I'm calling a Southern Gothic Young Adult Paranormal...where a 16 year old girl from the Upper East Side who just moved to Madison Florida with her superficial mom...there will be a hunky farmer boy and a swamp monster...and it's in the dreaded first person that I hate...Sounds promising? I think so too...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I know the feeling. I'm going over my manuscript (again) and have gotten 1 truly helpful rejection. The rest--ptthhh!
The rejection right now isn't so bad. I've accepted the fact that yes, there really is something wrong with my story. I'm a young writer. My words haven't been sharpened by the years yet. Maybe the next book.
So it's not personal any more. I shrug and say to each rejection letter that comes in, "Yeah, I know. But I'll send you my next novel and it's going to be better." (I say this out loud where the agent can't hear me.)
I guess it's how I deal with rejection.
Your paranormal sounds intriguing. Out of curiosity, why does a superficial mom live in Madison of all places? I still say you need to write the story you're excited about. :) I'm glad you've got a few pages.

Olivia said...

I'm actually using the 34 plot point outline you posted on your blog for this...I'm more than a little skeptical of the method, I'm NOT doing 3,000 words per section, I think this book/story should be about 50,000 words total...And they move there out of necessity, the mom's rich husbands dies and doesn't leave her much money...it's fun. But I'm curious as to how the 34 points will work out, so am willing to give it a shot on a project I'm just doing for a fun distraction...

Olivia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.