Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Caves

Yesterday Faiyaz and I took Anjali to Florida Caverns State Park. I hadn't been since I was a young child, and was restless for an adventure. For Faiyaz and Anjali, this was a first visit. As we took the tour of the caverns, Anjali was so excited to explore, and walk around looking at all the people and the formations of the cave. There were dark, still pools, towering columns, and stalactites and stalagmites that resembled everything from ducks, to families, to Homer Simpson. As I followed behind Anjali, I became increasing aware of all the dangers on the tour. Yes, there was a clear path, and yes, there was lighting, but there were also slipper stretches, unexpected dips, and dark cervices that someone Anjali's size could be swallowed up in. At one point, as we walked along a tunnel connecting two caverns, I looked to the side, and saw a deep hole just large enough for her to have been lost in. When I looked ahead, Anjali was far ahead of me. I ran towards her, afraid of any more unexpected holes near the path. In the caverns, we looked at the ceilings, and saw the remains of prehistoric fish, and even a shark tooth. This may sound predictable, but afterwards I couldn't help but to compare the tour through the caverns to our experience in mortality. We pass through the dark tunnels, we stare in awe at creation, we travel so long we forget what the light outside is like. The cool and damp make us forget the warm. Like Anjali, we don't always understand when we are led aware from pitfalls, either through the Spirit or through listening to the Prophets. Sometime we might even kick and scream against it. Then, at the end, we ascend, the door is open, and daylight and warmth flood us. Please don't think this trite. As I thought back to following Anjali, alert to any danger she might not see, I had an inkling of what Heavenly Father must feel as he watches us through our mortal lives. Beyond that, it was a wonderful trip. We went on some of the trails, and ended up walking around for two and half hours. The mosquitoes were exceptionally persistent, we had to use a lot of bug spray, but other than that, a great trip. And Anjali slept the whole way home.

2 comments:

The Miller Family said...

Aren't children great?!? I love the way that, through our nurturing snd guiding them, WE are able to feel kind of like him, which helps us appreciate and love him more. Families really are great!

On another note, how's packing coming? Good luck with all that...I've decided we're never moving again!

Unknown said...

A stalagmite that looks like Homer Simpson? How has someone not made any money off of that yet?!

I miss Florida, it's not been warm here for ages!