Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Wonderful Walk

Today Langston and I braved the heavy traffic on Tharpe street to walk to the San Luise dog park near our home. We've driven there a few times, but I'm never tried walking it before, and was nervous, but poor Langston really needed the exercise, and Faiyaz's family was with Anjali, so off we went. It took us about twenty-five minutes to get there, going at a brisk pace, Langston pulling the leash the whole way. Late afternoon, the sun starting to decline behind us as we went. We took a side road, a peaceful path with the cars on Tharpe zooming by only about twenty feet away. Langston's tongue, purple and pink, flapping out his mouth as he strained to move ahead. He's gotten so little time outside lately, I think he felt despate to move. A little sweat on the back of my neck, the constant pounding of my feet on pavement the only things spoiling a beautiful, sunny day. When we waited at the crosswalk, a girl in a car at the light watch Langston, and I felt the pride any dog owner feels when their beloved pet was admired. At the park, I sat and watched him romp with the other dogs for about an hour, then we met up with Anjali and my sister-in-law at the playground. I don't know when or how I can repeat the experience, it's not a walk Anjali can take, but it brought me a great deal of peace. It's a simple act, to walk your dog. I think in my next book, "The Good Wife," I'm going to give my main character a dog to walk. With all the bad stuff I've got planned for her, she'll need something like that to help her think things through. I highly recommend going out and having a nice long walk with your dog. If you don't have one, see about borrowing one for the day. Especially for you mommys, it's so different from taking a walk with your child. When I walk with Anjali, we go in spurts, slowly then suddenly running, then stopping. Along the way I point out the trees, the birds, the cars, I'm constantly talking to her about things and colors and shapes....it's good for her, but exhausting for me. It's very different to move at a steady, brisk pace, no talking, but still know you're doing a good deed for a fellow creature. No wonder they say having a pet is theraputic. It's nice to have something that's easily pleased.

2 comments:

Mrs. Blimes said...

dogs are such wonderful and special animals!

Dottie! said...

I totally miss Mission San Louis park... that was my haven of sorts. I wanted a dog just so I could take it there... hehe.