Sunday, August 9, 2009

First Draft Done!

I am on a writing High! I wasn't going to write today, I felt cranky and tired and my baby didn't sleep last night, but my plot kept nagging at me...yesterday I wrote about a thousand words, not much, and from that point I thought I had about two or three days worth of writing to do.

After only two hours of sleep last night, I stayed home from church and sent Fai with the girls, fully intending to nap. I got a text message that I wasn't babysitting today, and so I settled into my comfy bed...

Then I started thinking about Meg, and Read, and my plot, and this and that and next thing I knew I was at the computer. I wrote for a good spell, about 2,500 words in just over an hour, then went to sleep. Then Fai and the girls got home, and we did the lunch thing and everyone went to nap.

And I returned to my desk...and I wrote and wrote and wrote until.........

It's done! My first draft is done! I wrote a grand total of just over 4,000 words today, which is roughly 20 pages, and a big achievement! I feel elated, I feel jazzed, I feel like I want to run around my house screaming....

But everyone is still asleep!

So this is my big Hurray! Tomorrow I'm knocking the most common bit of writing advice, and skipping the cooling-off period and jumping right into my second draft. Mentally, I started my second draft about a week ago. I'm hoping to have it done soon, because I'm going to a writer's conference in New York next month, and want to take a third draft with me...

By the way, I'm currently recruiting readers for my second draft, to look through it and offer advice on how to improve it. Any volunteers?

So that's it, I'm very jazzed....

No comments: