Monday, August 3, 2009

Do I Need To Go Goth???

So I'm back, from an amazing weekend in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania? Yep, Pennsylvania. And I want to go back. Apparently it's a touristy place. We went to Hershey Park, swam a lot in the hotel pool, and then went to Dutch Wonderland, a kiddie-centered theme park. Anjali had a blast, and Nadira seem to really enjoy the carousal and the train ride...pictures will be forthcoming, I hope...

Anyway, so I cranked up the computer and set to checking my e-mails before opening up my novel and starting my daily writing attempt...

And on facebook, a new friend of mine sent me a link to a new author's website. Her name is Becca Fitzpatrick, and her new novel, "Hush, Hush," will be coming out soon. It's YA, and it's about a girl who falls for a guy who's a fallen angel. So I read about her and her book, and she's got an amazing story, and I can't wait to read her novel. Look her up, I bet most of you would like her too. And on her blog there's this pic of her with one of the ARCs (Advance Reader Copies) of her book, putting in on her bookshelf with her other books, and there's all four of the Twilight books. And automatically I saw the connection.

Not only are these books YA, but they are also what I would term a modern form of the Gothic novel. I studied Gothic novels in one of my classes at FSU, basically it's dark and dangerous, with the main character in danger, and the male lead being a dangerous hero...You get the idea.

Here's why I'm bugged:

I love my book, I love my character, Meg Dare is not in danger, she doesn't need a hero, she's strong and independent. I don't want her to be rescued, she's the hero! There is a bad guy who might become a love interest in a later book, but he'll be part of a love triangle, and the good guy will finish first. The story, while rich in suspense and action, is not dark. This is not a Gothic novel, and right now YA gothic seems to be the hot selling ticket. I know they say you shouldn't write to sell, you should write what you love, but honestly I would love anything I'm writing, and I want this as a career, not just a hobby. I want people to read this stuff! And getting a little money would be nice, although I'm obviously not counting on that anytime soon. So I'm in love with writing YA now, I'm going to finish Meg Dare and keep working on that series, but then should I maybe go for YA Gothic? Is there a market for YA strong female lead with high adventure and suspense, sorta a cross between Nancy Drew and Indian Jones, with mermaids and werewolves and other creatures thrown in? Would you read that kind of book? Would you buy it?

There's my writing rant for today, now I'm going to go and try to write...and not spend any more time on Becca's website!

No comments: