Friday, August 14, 2009

Mommy vs Writer




Here are some pictures I used for inspiration/setting of my novel, Meg Dare and the Bermuda Treaty. These are all in St. George, Bermuda. They're also taped to the wall over my desk...

Another mom was asking how my book was going...and I gave her a brief run down (well, as brief as I ever am when talking about writing) Her reply: I'd love to write a book, but just don't have the time...

A teacher/writer I admire greatly (Julianna Baggot) said in one of her classes to always pay yourself first. It took me awhile to catch on to what that means. As supermoms, we always take care of...everyone else. I wanted to write this book, if I didn't, I'd be unhappy, if I was unhappy, I'm be a bad mom....So here's today, and a picture of me doing both (mommying and writing) We all multitask, I'd like to think I've become a master! (although writing does detract from housework...)

Last night: Nadira scream fest=1 hour of sleep.
6:30 am: Mommy, I'm hungry, can I watch a show?
8:00 am: Family prayer. Microwave pancakes, turn on computer. Start editing.
8:20 am: Stop editing, set Anjali up with watercolors, get more pancakes for Nadira, start editing
again.
9:00 am: Try to put Nadira down for a nap, clean up mess from water colors...find kid music and
less messy art project. Get self bowl of cereal and diet coke.
9:45 am: Continue editing while eating a clemintine Anjali peeled for me....seriously great
moment...
10:20 am: Do silly dance with Anjali, set up to nurse Nadira while editing, have to stop editing
suddenly b/c Anjali picked up closed water colors and they dripped...everywhere...
10:40 am: Find good show for Anjali, open yogart tube
10:55 am: Open another yogart tube
11:05 am: Realize I forgot to let the dog out...
11:30 am: On to second diet coke...and another clemintine...
11:45 am: Finish second draft of novel!!!!!!! Yep, yep. Do another silly dance with Anjali...

Celebration: We go to the post office, mail a copy to my grandmother, then paint the town! We hit the playground, the library, Chick-fil-a for an early dinner and ice cream, the play area at Chick-fil-a, then home again....

And I've discovered to get a tired Nadira to stop screaming, need daddy singing on speakerphone. Planning on making a CD for bedtime...when she out grows it, it can be used for blackmail...

No comments: